MAINTENANCE WORKER STREETS/FACILITIES/PARKSCITY OF BLAINE
MAINTENANCE WORKER STREETS/FACILITIES/PARKS
First review deadline: Friday, September 6, 2019, at 4:30pm; Open Until Filled
Salary Range: $4,108 - $4,977 per month
Maintenance Worker Job Description
The City of Blaine, Washington, is a coastal community of 5,000 people, with a unique location on the US/Canada border. Blaine offers a small town environment just outside a major metropolitan area. Blaine is only 45 minutes from downtown Vancouver, British Columbia, one of the world’s most beautiful and dynamic cities. All major services are available in Bellingham, WA, only 30 minutes away, including shopping, theatres, dining, three colleges, a hospital and an airport. Interstate-5 provides easy access to Seattle, WA, two hours to the south.
Blaine offers access to unlimited outdoor recreation, with the inland marine waters of the Puget Sound and Georgia Straight for boating, fishing, and day trips to the San Juan Islands. The Cascade Mountains are less than an hour’s drive, offering hiking, skiing, camping, hunting and fishing. Locals like to boast that they can ski in the morning and sea kayak or golf in the afternoon.
The Maintenance Worker performs regular and recurring public works routine maintenance, installation and repair work on City streets, building and grounds, park and cemetery services, and other related services as assigned. This position utilizes authorized equipment and facilities to accomplish the work. Individuals assigned to this classification are expected to be competent in their skill area and perform proficiently and independently those assignments of a regular and recurring nature. The Maintenance Worker must maintain a high level of personal integrity.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Due to call out requirement, must live a short distance (within 20 minutes) from Blaine.
- Proficiency with various methods, tools and equipment used in all phases of job assignment.
- Ability to operate or learn to utilize the various tools and equipment outlined in the essential functions.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to work independently, is polite and courteous with supervisor, coworkers and the public, contributing to a positive, harmonious and efficient work environment even in stressful conditions.
- Ability to respond to emergency maintenance situations calmly and efficiently.
- Ability to work efficiently to ensure public safety on City streets, uninterrupted water, wastewater, and storm water services, and use of park and cemetery facilities.
Education and Experience
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience as a maintenance worker or in a similar field of sufficient length of time to prove competency in the skill areas.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is $4,108 - $4,977 per month. The position is a member of the Teamsters Non-Uniform bargaining group. The City offers an excellent benefit package including:
- Participation in WA State Retirement
- Health benefits at 90-percent
- Vision care benefits at 100-percent
- Dental benefits at 100-percent
- 12 paid holidays (10 plus 2 floating)
- 13 paid vacation days starting (up to 25 days)
- 12 annual sick leave days
- City Matching Deferred Compensation
Qualified individuals are encouraged to apply for the position. Please email the following documents to Samuel Crawford:
- Cover Letter
- City of Blaine Application Form
- Qualifications Checklist
- Supplemental Questionnaire
Application packets can also be delivered to 435 Martin Street, Suite 3000, Blaine, WA 98230.
The first review deadline is 4:30 pm on Friday, September 6, 2019; open until filled.
The City of Blaine is an Equal Opportunity Employer.