Part Time Parks LaborerCity of Ferndale
JOB SUMMARY: Applies knowledge and skills to perform regular and recurring maintenance, installation, and repair
work of city parks, using any of the equipment authorized and available. Receives moderate supervision, depending on experience
and complexity of task. Expected to perform routine assignments independently following “best management practices.”
This is a part-time, year-round, non-benefitted position.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Use appropriate materials and equipment to complete assigned work according to specifications, verbal
instructions, and established procedures. As directed, adapt equipment and materials to meet specific
- Operate all assigned equipment and vehicles to perform any operation within the capacity of the machine as necessary to accomplish required work.
- Mow, trim, and edge lawns in parks, sidewalks, islands, and median strips, using appropriate equipment. Plant and maintain turf areas, trees, and shrubs. Pull weeds, prune shrubs, and perform other related duties. Operate light-duty trucks in picking up and delivering materials and supplies and to collect and remove debris from different locations as assigned.
- As directed, perform painting, and assist with. Perform work in accordance with sound safety practices.
- Respond to public inquiries in a courteous manner within scope of knowledge and authority; refer to the Parks Maintenance Lead, Supervisor, Foreman, or Public Works Director as appropriate. As required, coordinate work activities with other departments, for example, to share information and equipment.
- Perform janitorial work within park facilities.
- Must have a basic knowledge of landscaping, working familiarity with assigned maintenance equipment,
construction and repair methods, materials, tools, and procedures, including a basic general knowledge of
electricity, plumbing, carpentry, and concrete work.
- Desirable to have previous experience in a similar position of sufficient length of time to prove competency
in the skill area. Must possess a valid Washington State driver's. Must be able to obtain a first-aid/CPR
Closing date: April 23, 2018. The City of Ferndale is an Equal Opportunity Employer