Professional Accountant 2 - 528600
Florida International University is a top public university that drives real talent and innovation in Miami and globally. Very high research (R1) activity and high social mobility come together at FIU to uplift and accelerate learner success in a global city by focusing in the areas of environment, health, innovation, and justice. Today, FIU has two campuses and multiple centers. FIU serves a diverse student body of more than 56,000 and 290,000 Panther alumni. U.S. News and World Report places dozens of FIU programs among the best in the nation, including international business at No. 2. Washington Monthly Magazine ranks FIU among the top 20 public universities contributing to the public good.
Professional Accountant 2 - 528600
Supports the goals and objectives of the Office of the Controller by managing University bank accounts and assisting with the month-end, quarter-end and year-end close processes. Prepares journal entries and reconciliations. Analyzes, balances and researches financial data discrepancies.
- Maintains adequate cash balance in University bank account and manages various investment accounts, to include investing and liquidating funds. Prepares schedule of daily cash on hand and anticipates University financial needs.
- Prepares reconciliations of accounts and subledgers, journal entries, supporting schedules and other work papers, as well as analyzes balances and researches discrepancies in financial data as they relate to the assigned areas of responsibility.
- Assists with journal entry and reconciliation preparation and variance analysis for month-end, quarter-end and year-end close. Provides supporting documentation as it relates to internal and state audit requests.
- Evaluates, develops and recommends policies/procedures to properly record financial transactions and maintain accounting records in accordance with GAAP, University policies and State regulations.
- Works with the University community and outside constituents to develop and implement strategies, procedures and processes based on best practices to improve customer service standards. Responds to and resolves issues efficiently and effectively.
- May have responsibility for cashiering and banking as assigned.
- Serves as a liaison between the Office of the Controller and the University community.
- Assists with special projects as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance, and two (2) years of directly related experience or a Master's degree in Accounting or an MBA and four (4) years of directly related accounting experience.
- Strong working knowledge of Excel.
- Experience with PeopleSoft or similar ERP/GL system is a plus.
- Cash Management experience preferred.
Job Category: Administrative
Advertised Salary: $50,000 - $55,000
- Begin time: 8:30 AM
- End time: 5:00 PM
- Required to spend 50% or more of time operating a computer
- Criminal Background Check
- Ability to work flexible hours as needed.
For further information or to apply, please visit careers.fiu.edu and reference Job Opening ID # 528600
In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, the University Police department at Florida International University provides information on crimes statistics, crime prevention, law enforcement, crime reporting, and other related issues for the past three (3) calendar years. The FIU Annual Security report is available online at: https://police.fiu.edu/download/annual-security-fire-safety-report/.
To obtain a paper copy of the report, please visit the FIU Police Department located at 885 SW 109th Avenue, Miami, FL, 33199 (PG5 Market Station).
Florida International University will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
FIU is a member of the State University System of Florida and an Equal Opportunity, Equal Access Affirmative Action Employer all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.