53079 Network Architect
Deputy CTO, Strategic Cloud Infrastructure
Job ID 54805
Deputy CTO, Strategic Cloud Infrastructure
Department: Northwest Regional Data Center
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Closing date: 5/27/2023
Duration of Posting: 30 Days
NWRDC is the State’s leading computing provider in both educational and governmental communities. With a robust, reliable and secure facility, NWRDC offers a superior infrastructure for system support and application hosting. We also provide 24 x 7 management support for responding to disasters, ensuring uptime, and providing business continuity. Governed by a policy board comprised of our customers, we utilize a shared-cost model to provide leading-edge technology solutions at affordable pricing. As a public institution and auxiliary of Florida State University, NWRDC has long been synonymous with high quality, affordable customer service.
This position is responsible for the oversight of all Strategic Cloud Infrastructure Division at NWRDC and the State Data Center (SDC). Provides leadership, management and direction for all Cloud Infrastructure Services, Storage Services, Backup Services, and Network Services. As one of two Deputy Chief Technology Officers for NWRDC and a member of the NWRDC senior management team, this position assists with data center planning, operations, customer relations, policy implementation, fiscal planning, new business development and strategic initiatives relative to the Strategic Infrastructure Division. Provides leadership, management and direction to multiple units within the Strategic Cloud Infrastructure Division.
Serves as the head of the Strategic Cloud Infrastructure Division and works alongside the Chief Technology Officer to define strategic direction for NWRDC/SDC Cloud Infrastructure technology Oversees the day-to-day operations of all Cloud Infrastructure Services, Storage Services, Backup Services, and Network Services within NWRDC and SDC. Enforces high customer service standards throughout the division. Interacts regularly with data center infrastructure customers to ensure customer satisfaction with NWRDC's services and operational matters. Develops and maintains security best practices and implements a security strategy that protects the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of NWRDC's data and systems. Establishes a standards-focused service delivery operation built upon the ongoing implementation of best practices.
Serves as a member of the NWRDC/SDC senior management team and collaborates with leadership to define strategic direction for the center's cloud infrastructure services. Develops and improves data center policies and procedures.
Implements programs and initiatives that drive service improvement, cost effectiveness, and optimization of resources within NWRDC/SDC's Cloud Infrastructure Division. Directs the budget planning and execution for NWRDC/SDC' s Cloud Infrastructure Division. Assists in fiscal planning and direction with regard to all Cloud Infrastructure Services and the department as a whole.
Actively markets NWRDC/SDC Cloud Infrastructure, Storage, Backup, and Network services lines while serving as a direct contact to all infrastructure customers.
Assists with the development of marketing strategies and business plans for all lines of business at NWRDC.
Identifies new technology trends and evaluates their technological and fiscal viability for use at the data center and in customer environments. Defines the technical vision in support of the strategic goals of the organization. Communicate NWRDC's services and technology strategies to management, staff, customers, and stakeholders. Works with Technology Leaders across the University to gain their insights and support to identify, prioritize and deploy new and existing services.
Partners with the CTO, NWRDC/SDC Leadership team and IT Partners, to lead the definition and implementation of technology strategies to support the changing needs of the teaching, learning and research mission of the University.
Participates in approved professional development opportunities per NWRDC's policy. Professional development and training are defined as learning undertaken by the employee to maintain and advance their skills, knowledge, and competencies, specifically as they relate and add value to the job and workplace.
NWRDC provides support for a wide range of state and local government, as well as K- 20 organizations across the State of Florida. These organizations are dependent on NWRDC in order to accomplish their missions. This requires NWRDC to maintain services 24x7, even during times of crisis or emergency. As such, all NWRDC staff are considered essential staff for operations of the State of Florida.
- Bachelor's degree and six years of experience related to technical services or a combination of post high school education and experience equal to ten years.
- Knowledge of and the ability to strategically align tasks and people with organizational goals and objectives.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to convey technical information to technical and non- technical users.
- Ability to demonstrate critical thinking based upon in-depth data, substantiating information, considering and respecting others' input personal values, and ethics.
- Ability to develop and implement policies, procedures, goals, and objectives.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to evaluate process effectiveness and develop change or alternatives.
- Ability to gather, interpret, report, and/or edit information.
- Ability to identify complex problems and review related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Ability to maintain and improve personal and team effectiveness, and foster change and creativity.
- Ability to strategically plan and serve as a catalyst for organizational change, cultivate a shared vision with others, and motivate others to transfer vision into action.
- Ability to train and supervise employees.
- Knowledge of and ability to interpret and apply related federal, state, and local laws, ordinances, rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of and the ability to interpret and apply related University policies, procedures, principles, and practices.
- Knowledge of applicable computer applications and basic computer functions.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of project planning, development, and evaluation.
- Knowledge of the concepts, principles, and practices of management.
- Skill in preparing clear and concise reports, policies, procedures, correspondences, and other written materials.
- Knowledge of information technology security measures.
Florida State University
One of the nation's elite research universities, Florida State University preserves, expands, and disseminates knowledge in the sciences, technology, arts, humanities, and professions, while embracing a philosophy of learning strongly rooted in the traditions of the liberal arts and critical thinking. Founded in 1851, Florida State University is the oldest continuous site of higher education in Florida. FSU is a community steeped in tradition that fosters research, encourages creativity, and embraces diversity. At FSU, there’s the excitement of being part of a vibrant academic and professional community, surrounded by people whose ideas are shaping tomorrow’s news!
Learn more about our university and campuses: https://hr.fsu.edu/working-fsu/prospective-employees
Equal Employment Opportunity
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer. FSU's Equal Opportunity Statement can be viewed at: http://www.hr.fsu.edu/PDF/Publications/diversity/EEO_Statement.pdf
Background Check Requirements
This position requires the successful completion of a criminal history background check. The background check will be conducted as authorized and in accordance with University Policy 4-OP-C-7-B11.
CJIS for NWRDC: As required by U.S. Justice Department, CJIS level Background Checks shall be conducted for positions with access to Criminal Justice Information.
How to Apply
If qualified and interested in a specific vacancy as advertised, apply to Florida State University at https://jobs.fsu.edu.
Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable information. Applications must include work history and all education details (if applicable) even if attaching a resume.