SPED Elementary Gifted & Talented TeacherLummi Indian Business Council
Bellingham, WA Full-time
Posted on July 5, 2019
JOB TITLE: SPED Elementary Gifted & Talented Teacher
OPEN: July 3, 2019
CLOSES: July 19, 2019
SALARY: Washington State Scale DOE
LOCATION: Lummi Nation School
DURATION: SY – 12 Month Teacher Contract
JOB SUMMARY: Provide gifted & talented educational and support services to students according to the IEP.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following, and other related duties as assigned.
- Conduct needs assessment to determine student needs to ensure placement in challenging educational experiences.
- Generate and maintain student IEP’s and ensure compliance with program requirements.
- Continue to develop the gifted & talented program based on needs and best practice.
- Collaborate with special and general education staff regarding student placement opportunities.
- Participate in IEP, assessment and intervention meetings as appropriate.
- Administer selected assessments to program students.
- Coordinate with school counselor and outside school services to facilitate student learning experiences.
- Keep daily records of student hours, progress and parent/teacher contacts that relate to the program students. Initiates and maintains parent contact.
- Teach advance placement classes.
- May teach other resources rooms.
- Set up, monitor and evaluate students in gifted & talented placements.
- Arrange and assist in transporting students to and from events.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with community connections.
- Keep abreast of current research in gifted and talented practices.
- Attend staff meetings, in-service, parent-teacher conferences, and other professional development activities sponsored by LNS.
- Must actively participate the Professional Leaning Communities.
- Supervise special education paraprofessionals, as assigned.
- Other related duties as appropriate.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher
- Valid K-8 Washington State Teaching Certificate.
- Washington State Special Education Endorsement
- Lummi/Native American/Veteran preference policy applies.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS:
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality at all times
- Must possess knowledge of national standards for Gifted and Talented Programs.
- Must have the ability to engage students into higher order thinking to provoke higher levels of knowledge and understanding.
- Must be able to skillfully adjust instruction to align with individual student needs.
- Must pass pre-employment and random drug and alcohol test to be eligible for and maintain employment, as required by the LIBC Drug & Alcohol Free Workplace Policy.
- This position requires regular contact with or Control over Indian Children and is therefore subject to an extensive Criminal Background Check and CAMIS Check with Washington State Patrol and Federal Bureau of investigation Fingerprint Clearance.
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Must be able to adhere to strict attendance expectations of the Lummi Nation School.
- Obtain a CPR, First Aid and Mandatory Reporting certification and participate in annual CPR/First Aid training.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- All elements of this job description apply.
- Academic School Year (12 Month Teacher Contract)
- Salary depends on WA State Teacher Pay Scale.
- 90 Day Probationary Evaluation Period Applies.
- Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of policy on Evaluation of Professional Personnel.
To obtain a Lummi Indian Business Council (LIBC) application go to:
or request by e-mail
For more information contact the HR front desk (360) 312-2023. Submit LIBC application, cover letter, resume & reference letters no later than 4:30 p.m. on the closing date listed above. If listing degrees or certifications include copies. Mailing Address: 2665 Kwina Road, Bellingham, WA 98226. Human Resource Fax number: 360-380-6991.
**Note: Benefits after successfully completing 90 day orientation period. Dental, Health, Vision, 401k & Life Insurance. **