Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor ILummi Indian Business Council
Lummi Vocational Rehabilitation
OPEN: October 19, 2018 CLOSES: October 29, 2018
DURATION: Regular Full Time VACANCIES: 1
JOB SUMMARY: The Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor will provide counseling services to qualified clients through the Lummi Vocational Rehabilitation Department.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES include the following, and other related
duties as assigned.
1. Prepare and maintain records and case files, including documentation such as clients' personal
and eligibility information, services provided, narratives of client contacts, and relevant
2. Develop rehabilitation plans that fit clients' aptitudes, education levels, physical abilities, and
3. Monitor and record clients' progress to ensure that goals and objectives are met.
4. Confer with clients to discuss their options and goals so that rehabilitation programs and plans
for accessing needed services can be developed.
5. Maintain close contact with clients during job training and placements to resolve problems and
evaluate placement adequacy.
6. Confer with physicians, psychologists, occupational therapists, and other professionals to
develop and implement client rehabilitation programs.
7. Arrange for physical, mental, academic, vocational, and other evaluations to obtain information
for assessing clients' needs and developing rehabilitation plans.
8. Analyze information from interviews, educational and medical records, consultation with other
professionals, and diagnostic evaluations to assess clients' abilities, needs, and eligibility for
9. Develop and maintain relationships with community referral sources, such as schools and
10. Locate barriers to client employment, such as inaccessible work sites, inflexible schedules, and
transportation problems, and work with clients to develop strategies for overcoming these
11. Maintain CONFIDENTIALITY of information consistent with Tribal Policy.
- ·A Bachelors Degree in Rehabilitation, Psychology, Human Services or related field, required.
- At least 1 year experience working with individuals with disabilities in a Native Community with the understanding of and sensitive to Native culture and
- TVR certification from NWIC TVR Institute
- Must possess a valid Washington State Driver’s license and meet eligibility requirements for tribal insurance.
- Lummi/Native American/Veteran preference policy applies
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS:
- Knowledge of principles, methods and procedures for diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of
physical and mental disorders, and for career counseling and guidance.
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This
includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of
- Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality,
and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and
treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Computer skills necessary.
- Able to communicate with excellent verbal and written skills.
- Able to work as a part of a network and team.
- Must pass pre-employment and random drug and alcohol test to be eligible for and maintain
employment, as required by the LIBC Drug & Alcohol Free Workplace Policy.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Washington State Driver’s license and meet eligibility
requirements for Tribal insurance.
- This position requires regular contact with elders or vulnerable adults, or control over Indian
children and is therefore subject to successful and extensive criminal background check,
CAMIS background check.
- Must have reliable transportation.