Legal and Policy Services Investment Officer Investment Officer
About the Opportunity:
The position will manage and participate in investment projects according to internal policies and procedures, including investment manager diligence, investment agreement review and negotiations, ongoing investment manager compliance, investment management strategy, and investment risk analysis. The employee is required to register for the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) program within twelve months of starting the position and must actively pursue the CFA designation throughout employment. The employee will also provide legal guidance to the State Board of Investment (SBI) staff and direct review of contractual and regulatory matters regarding investment agreements, agency vendor contracts, and regulatory certifications for the agency. In addition, the employee will manage assigned proxy voting matters, shareholder policy initiatives, and assist with assigned legislative matters.
Minimum Qualifications –
- J.D. Degree from an ABA accredited law school.
- Must be licensed to practice law in the State of Minnesota and current with continuing education requirements, or obtain a license to practice law in Minnesota within 12 months of beginning employment.
- Two (2) years as a licensed attorney conducting legal research, writing, and analysis.
- Successful completion of or active enrollment in the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) program will be required of the successful applicant.
Experience of candidates considered must include:
- Experience in one or more of the following areas of law: investments, finance, tax, procurement, complex commercial transactions, qualified retirement plans (ERISA or Non-ERISA) data practices, and ethics.
- Experience providing legal advice to senior management or executives.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively collaborate with peers, superiors and staff and to work both within the agency and among other agencies and organizations to identify legal issues and resolve problems effectively and efficiently.
- Demonstrated strong communication and management skills.
- Excellent legal analysis and writing skills.
- Proven ability to work successfully with diverse populations.
Preferred Qualifications –
- Experience handling issues related to public pension or other institutional investments.
- Experience analyzing and negotiating contracts for complex commercial transactions
- Experience working with the Minnesota Attorney General’s Office and State government agencies.
- Knowledge of the legislative process and drafting legislation
- Knowledge of the Minnesota Governmental Data Practices Act, Minnesota Public Pension Fiduciary Duty laws
- Knowledge of federal laws impacting investors, including but not limited to the Investment Advisers Act of 1940; Securities Exchange Act of 1934; and the Internal Revenue Code
- Experience in litigation practices and techniques, assessment of legal risk, knowledge of negotiation and settlement strategies and techniques, and legal consideration related to setting or compromising lawsuits and claims.
It is the policy of the Retirement Systems of MN that all employees submit to a background investigation prior to employment. The background check may consist of the following components:
- SEMA4 Records Check (applies to current and past State employees only)
- Criminal History Check
- Employment Reference Check
- Social Security and Address Verification
- Education Verification
- Driver's License Check
The Retirement Systems will not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.
Why Work for Us:
The State of Minnesota also has over 100 state agencies, so the possibilities of serving our great state through a multitude of programs and roles are endless! The State of Minnesota also has our own Enterprise Talent Development department to keep your skills and knowledge sharp. You may also qualify for Public Service Loan Forgiveness, which forgives the remaining balance of your student loans after 120 qualifying monthly payments!
What’s also great about this job is the competitive wage and comprehensive benefits package including low cost/high value medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, retirement plan, health care savings plan, generous vacation and sick leave, paid holidays, and numerous tax-deferred benefit options (e.g., 457B investment plan, long and short-term disability plans, etc.). Benefits offered are:
- Medical and dental insurance
- Life insurance
- 11 paid holidays per year
- Parental leave
- Pension and retirement saving plan
- Vacation and Sick leave
- Long and short term disability insurance
HOW TO APPLY:
Job Posting Number: 62031
Posting Closes: 2/6/2023