The senior reporter/editor will spend 20% of their time, primarily when the editor is out, working with other reporters on developing audience-centered stories that are timely, well-sourced and complete with visuals and spend 80% of their time independently reporting.
- Work closely with editor to plan and implement ongoing growth strategies and audience-focused journalism.
- Act as a point of contact for reporters who need help with headlines, content packaging, social media mechanics, etc.
- Implement engagement strategies that focus on initiating conversations and building one-on-one relationships. This includes daily monitoring of Facebook and other social media platform for engagement opportunities and follow-ups.
- Discuss ways to improve with reporters who are struggling to meet pageview goals or who the editors are concerned about for other reasons; offer training/feedback opportunities for those reporters and others on better headline writing, better SEO, etc.
- Collaborate with reporters and editor to achieve high-impact journalism.
- Be able to produce fast-moving, highly readable stories while also working on in-depth, topical stories.
- Use data and research to inform reporting.
- Skillful at public records and the ability to use and develop databases for revelatory reporting.
- Shoot photos and video when needed.
- Skillfully use content management systems.
- Use social media platforms to find stories and sources, help distribute and highlight work.
- Other duties as assigned.
The anticipated base pay range for this position is between $65,000 and $75,000 annually. Individual base pay may vary within that range depending on job-related knowledge, skills, experience, relevant education, department equity, training, geography and local wage and hours laws.
- Bachelor's degree in journalism or a related field.
- Minimum of five (5) years of supervisory experience.
- Desire to advance in management as opportunities arise.
- A commitment to understanding community issues.
- Excellent news judgment, and a demonstrated ability to “see the story” that is going to matter to readers and to anticipate reader interests before they exist.
- Skill and versatility as an editor and a writer, including the ability to shape everything from breaking news briefs to revelatory enterprise in a way that best serves and engages the broadest possible audience.
- An interest in and aptitude for storytelling using a broad range of media, including the written word, video, photography, podcasts and other audio, and whatever comes next.
- Strong writing and editing skills and excellent news judgment.
- Unwavering commitment to accurate, ethical journalism.
- Understanding of metrics/analytics programs and development of story ideas derived from data.
- Master of SEO and other optimization opportunities and a demonstrated ability to learn new skills in social and digital.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including empathy and the ability to take and give constructive criticism.Able to juggle conversations between reporters and editors and work independently.
- Expert at the content management system used to deliver our journalism on multiple platforms.
- Ability to break news quickly and set and meet long-term deadlines.
- Command of AP style.
- A collaborative style that works comfortably across teams spread throughout the office and company.
- Must have reliable transportation. Must have valid driver’s license and vehicle insurance required (at least minimum insurance required for the state in which the employee works).
As requested or in the editor’s absence:
- Supervise reporters.
- Responsible for office.
- Organize website, eEdition and print content for publication.
- Collaborate with other McClatchy teams and editors at multiple locations.
- Assist customers with customer service issues from other departments.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly is required to stand, walk, sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; balance, stoop; talk and hear. The employee will occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Requires ability to operate a motor vehicle and move freely in and out of car.
What we’ll bring: As a journalist at McClatchy, you will join a supportive, flexible, collaborative team. McClatchy strives to be an employer of choice, and our benefits package is made with this goal in mind. With a focus on health, well-being, wealth and daily life, our package options includes healthcare coverage for employees and their families, financial protection from expected and unexpected expenses, multiple no-cost wellness resources and even coverage for four-legged friends. Our overall benefit package also includes a 401(k) with employer match, competitive paid time off and corporate holidays, and a variety of mental health benefits. With an excellent support team and with focus on your well-being as a top corporate strategy, McClatchy provides benefits to support you and your family in achieving your health and wellness goals. For more information on McClatchy's benefit plan, please visit McClatchyLivewell.com.
When applying, include a persuasive cover letter, your resume and four to six examples of your best work.
About McClatchy: Our impact is growing every day. 30 growing markets. Over 65 million monthly readers. 56 Pulitzer Prizes. A strong portfolio of dynamic partnerships and smart investments. Our award-winning journalism, digital reach, and commitment to innovative growth have never been stronger. As a member of the McClatchy family, you are part of a flexible, empowering, and exciting culture dedicated to creating a work/life balance and consistent opportunities for growth—a place where you have a voice and the ability to impact our future. It’s an exciting time to be here. Our company is experiencing the most transformative period in its history. We’re growing rapidly in the digital space and delivering award-winning journalism in innovative ways.