Telecommunication Cabling Technician
About University at Albany:
Established in 1844 and designated a University Center of the State University of New York in 1962, the University at Albany's broad mission of excellence in undergraduate and graduate education, research and public service engages a diverse student body of more than 17,900 students in nine schools and colleges across three campuses.
Located in Albany, New York, New York State's capital, the University is convenient to Boston, New York City and the Adirondacks.
Information Technology Services at the University at Albany seeks a Telecommunication Cabling Technician to provide hands-on support for the planning, installation, operation, troubleshooting, repair, and documentation of network cabling. The successful candidate serves as a resource to continually prepare and maintain the cabling distribution infrastructure to meet the evolving academic, business, and research needs of the University.
The Telecommunication Cabling Technician has in-depth knowledge of structured cabling standards, twisted-pair copper, coaxial copper, connecting hardware, entrance facilities and terminations, and telecommunication rooms. She/he/they possesses the ability to review and comment on blueprints, bid documents, and project manuals.
The Telecommunication Cabling Technician is expected to conduct site visits, collaborate effectively and professionally with team members, and serve as a subject matter expert in UAlbany's telecommunications distribution infrastructure. She/he/they are expected to participate in the resolution of incidents, the delivery of service requests, operational activities, and the execution of assigned project tasks. The Telecommunication Cabling Technician must be licensed and able to drive and will work at multiple sites, including outdoor conditions.
This position is an 80% commitment.
- At least 5 years of experience with voice and data cabling - installations, troubleshooting, and support.
- Demonstrated experience and proficiency with problem-solving and diagnostic skills.
- Demonstrated experience understanding and working successfully within an integrated telecommunications system, including but not limited to Cisco Call Manager and Contact Center, wireless providers, Spectrum, and local and long-distance carriers.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Commitment to serving the needs of a diverse population and fostering an inclusive environment.
- Bachelor's degree from a college or university accredited by a U.S. Department of Education (DOE) or internationally recognized accrediting organization.
- Experience working in a higher education environment.
- Experience with Cisco UC (Unified Communications) environment.
- Knowledge of SIP technology.
- Experience working with service providers to expedite the resolution of service-related issues.
- Experience with Footprints Service Desk Management System.
- Proven experience working in a service-oriented environment communicating with non-technical users in an effective way.
- 8 or more years of experience with voice and data cabling.
Professional Rank and Salary Range: Lead Programmer/Analyst, SL-3
Special Notes: This position is part-time, 80% FTE
The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, or Clery Act, mandates that all Title IV institutions, without exception, prepare, publish and distribute an Annual Security Report. This report consists of two basic parts: disclosure of the University's crime statistics for the past three years; and disclosures regarding the University's current campus security policies. The University at Albany's Annual Security Report is available in portable document format [PDF] by clicking this link http://police.albany.edu/ASR.shtml
Pursuant to NYS Labor Law 194-A, no State entity, as defined by the Law, is permitted to rely on, orally or in writing seek, request, or require in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current wage, or salary history as a condition to be interviewed, or as a condition of continuing to be considered for an offer of employment until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation, and for the purpose of verifying information, may such requests be made. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
THE UNIVERSITY AT ALBANY IS AN EO/AA/IRCA/ADA EMPLOYER
Please apply online via https://albany.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=144769
Applicants MUST submit the following documents:
- Cover letter stating all the required minimum qualifications and any of the applicable preferred qualifications
- Contact information for three professional references
Note: After submitting your resume, the subsequent pages give you instructions for uploading additional documents (i.e. cover letter, etc.).
This posting will remain open until the position is filled.