Assistant Director Residence LifeWestern Washington University
As our Assistant Director you will collaboratively provide educational and administrative leadership for the residence life program, and are directly responsible for residential education, community development, administrative processes, and supervision of the professional and student staff for a portion of the residence halls (approximately 2,000 students). Your primary collateral responsibilities focus on inclusion, diversity, and staff recruitment and selection. The duties common to the three assistant directors include goal setting and implementation at various levels in the department; budget planning and management; ensuring effective collaboration with division, university, and community partners; leading staff training processes; and providing leadership to all residence life staff in their efforts to foster and assess students’ development of leadership, multicultural competence, academic success and personal growth.
• Master’s Degree in Higher Education Administration, Student Affairs, Education, Psychology or related field
• Three years full-time experience in college or university residence education or similar educational setting
• Experience working in a diverse and inclusive environment and a demonstrated ability to bring a multicultural perspective to the position, and to understand the perspectives of students from underrepresented and underserved populations
• Experience with recruitment and outreach of professional staff and student staff
• Highly developed communication skills, including cross-cultural communication skills effective with a broad range of social identities
• Demonstrated collegiality and leadership abilities
• Experience supervising full-time or graduate-level educators (e.g. resident directors, teachers, graduate teaching assistants)
• Experience with crisis management
• Part-time or full-time experience teaching
• Experience conducting and using assessment
• Ability to apply current student learning and development theories and research
A cover letter and resume are required and should address your experience related to the position responsibilities and the required and preferred qualifications.
Please include the names and contact information of three professional references.