Adjunct English InstructorWhatcom Community College
Adjunct Faculty, English Instructor
Whatcom Community College invites applications for a part-time, adjunct faculty position in the English department for fall quarter 2019. The College seeks faculty who have the ability to work effectively and collaboratively with students, colleagues, staff, and others in a campus climate that promotes cultural diversity, equity, and global understanding.
Being a faculty member at Whatcom offers the opportunity to engage with diverse students, support equitable student outcomes, and reduce equity gaps. Faculty have regular opportunities for on-campus professional development, collaboration with colleagues, and engagement in workshops and learning communities. These opportunities contribute to faculty's professional and personal growth. This position supports all four of the College's four core themes – achieving success, building community, advancing equity, and enhancing effectiveness.
- Job Responsibilities
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Developing, preparing, and teaching composition courses in accordance with approved course outcomes and class schedules.
- Maintaining office hours at times and places convenient to students, and responding to student emails and requests in a timely manner.
- Qualifications, Salary and Appointment
- Master's degree from an accredited institution in English or a closely related field.
- Experience teaching English 101, literature, and/or other composition courses.
(Preferred but not required.)
- A commitment to equity and inclusion.
- Experience with culturally relevant course content, culturally responsive pedagogical techniques, and/or critical race theory.
- Experience engaging historically underserved students, including African American, Latinx, Native Americans, Pacific Islanders and/or other disproportionately impacted students.
- Sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
- Experience with instructional technology.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and collaboration skills.
- Experience in a community college environment.
- Based on the current adjunct salary schedule.
- Fall quarter 2019
- For best consideration, applications should be submitted as soon as possible and no later than Wednesday, September 4th, 2019 at 4:59 pm. Position open until filled.
- Special Instructions to Applicant
A completed application consists of an online application and:
- Letter of application detailing relevant experience and qualifications.
- Diversity statement that responds to the following question: (1 page max)
- Current resumé or CV.
- Unofficial transcripts for all earned degrees; official transcripts are required prior to the official start date.
- List of three recent professional references with contact information.
- Whatcom Community College
- 237 W Kellogg Rd
Bellingham, Washington, 98226