Head Men's Basketball CoachWhatcom Community College
Head Men's Basketball Coach
The Head Coach for Men's Basketball position provides leadership and direction for the Orca Men's Basketball team. Reporting to the Director for Athletics and Recreation, the successful candidate will teach basketball skills at the collegiate level, hire qualified coaches to assist in the development of student athletes, develop, manage, and assess budgets and equipment adhering to Whatcom Community College athletic policies, and ensure academic and athletic eligibility of all Men's Basketball student athletes. In collaboration with the Athletics Department and student athletes, the head coach is also responsible for fundraising for their program.
Include but not limited to:
- Provide administration, leadership, and direction for the men's intercollegiate basketball program.
- Teach individual and team basketball skills and strategies; build, develop, and evaluate teamwork; develop and enforce training rules.
- Monitor and support the academic performance, leadership, and progress of student athletes.
- Scout and recruit student athletes who are qualified both academically and athletically for intercollegiate competition.
- Establish, develop, and maintain positive relationships and effective communication with local area club basketball and high school basketball coaches and programs.
- Conduct intercollegiate programs in accordance with NWAC and college rules and regulations.
- In collaboration with the Director for Athletics and Recreation, work closely with the Athletics Department and develop collaborative relationships with the other coaches, student leaders and campus community.
- Fully participate in athletics activities including departmental meetings, outreach and fundraising events, and other relevant functions as needed and requested.
- Develop, implement and evaluate practice and game schedules. Compile and analyze sport season statistics.
- Report team scores to the NWAC office after all home contests and for any away contests in which the opponent is not an NWAC member.
- Work closely with the college communications and marketing staff to develop website/media/promotional materials for Men's Basketball sport.
- Organize fundraising activities in order to enhance and develop athletic programs.
- Inventory and track assigned athletic equipment. Maintain and improve existing facility, including general preparation and maintenance.
- Work closely with game managers to staff home contests.
- Understand and comply with the policies and procedures of the Athletics Department as outlined in the Whatcom Community College Athletic Handbook.
Qualifications, Salary and Appointment
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Education, Communications, Human Services, Social Science, Counseling, Student Development, or related field.
- Basketball coaching experience with athletes of high-school age or above.
- Current First Aid/CPR certification (or will obtain if selected).
- Valid unrestricted Washington state driver's license (or will obtain if selected).
- Demonstrating a strong work ethic, organizational ability, planning, and program development.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and cooperatively with faculty, students, and staff within a campus community; and the ability to foster positive resolutions when conflicts occur.
- Teaching and teambuilding, related to student athletes. Excellent verbal, listening, writing, problem-solving and interpersonal communication skills.
- Managing budgets and coordinating schedules.
- Academic advising, particularly when working with student athletes.
- Program fundraising and development.
- Ability to use a personal computer, Microsoft Office products and database programs.
- Candidates must exhibit an appreciation of, a sensitivity to, and respect for a diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of varying social, economic, cultural, ideological and ethnic backgrounds.
Stipend and Appointment:
- Coaching stipend of $6,000. Additional campus employment may be available based on the individual's qualifications and interest.
- Tentative start date is June 3rd, 2019, or as soon as can be arranged with the successful candidate.
Application Due Date:
- For guaranteed consideration, application packets should be received by Tuesday May 21st, 2019 at 4:59 pm. Position open until filled.
Special Instructions to Applicant
- Letter of application detailing relevant experience and how the applicant is prepared to meet the duties of the position.
- Diversity statement that demonstrates a commitment to pluralism and the ability to support a diverse workplace and educational environment.
- Current resume.
- Unofficial transcripts for all earned degrees; official transcripts are required prior to the official start date.
- List of five recent professional references with contact information.