Resident AdvisorWhatcom Community College
Exempt, Resident Advisor
Whatcom Community College welcomes applications for the Resident Advisor position. This position is a live-in 12 month (Sept 1 – Aug 31), renewable position for the Whatcom Community College's (WCC) Residence Life Program. This Resident Advisor (RA) requires ongoing communication with the Associate Director for Residence Life, and the Office for Student Life and Development. The RA plays an important role in community development, developing internal and external relationships, providing general support to residents and Residence Life, and in helping to achieve the mission of Whatcom Community College. This position will enforce and abide by college policies, procedures, and Washington State laws and will participate in all required trainings. RAs will adhere to the highest standards of ethical and role-modeling behaviors throughout all of their functions and areas of responsibilities and maintain a presence in his/her living community on nights and weekends.
- Job Responsibilities
Include but are not limited to:
- Perform safety and security checks and inspections of the apartments.
- Document and communicate safety and security concerns in a timely manner and as they occur according to protocols and procedures.
- Perform duties and responsibilities during holidays, 3-day weekends and all break periods as needed including on-call rotation duty.
- Plan, coordinate, and facilitate on-going student programs and activities, including residence life orientation programs.
- Attend and participate in all required staff meetings, ongoing in-service trainings.
- Teach, engage, and orient students to apartment living in the community and all support services on campus. Educate students regarding WCC Residence Life Handbook and policies.
- Maintain a positive atmosphere and follow up with residents on academics and apartment living.
- Serve as the emergency responder, trouble-shooter, and mandatory reporter for the community. This requires communicating to and following up with appropriate students and staff regarding needs, problems, and concerns in a timely manner.
- Record and report any maintenance needed through work orders and follow up with maintenance and students in a timely manner.
- Pick up or drop off residents to and from Bellingham and/or SeaTac airport(s) with WCC vehicle.
- Perform other duties as assigned and/or delegated by the Associate Director for Residence Life.
- May be asked to perform move out duties for additional compensation.
- Qualifications, Salary and Appointment
- Possess a valid Washington State driver's license and current auto insurance.
- Pass a pre-employment drug test.
- Demonstrated experience working in a diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of varying social, economic, cultural, ideological, gender/sexuality, and ethnic backgrounds and identities.
- Demonstrated interpersonal communication skills, including listening, writing, and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge in student development practices and experience in administering student programs in a higher education setting.
- Demonstrated experience teaching and facilitating dynamic, interactive, and innovative workshops and presentations.
- Current student status with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5.
- Ability to use a personal computer, Microsoft Office products and database programs.
- This is a 12-month (Sept 1 – Aug 31) stipend, non-permanent position with a stipend of $500 per month. The position includes compensated assigned housing/apartment. Apartment reassignment might occur based on student and departmental needs.
- As soon as can be arranged with successful candidate.
- For guaranteed consideration, application packets should be received by Monday, September 16, 2019 at 4:59 pm. Position open until filled.
- Special Instructions to Applicant
A completed application consists of an online application and:
- Letter of application detailing relevant experience and how the applicant is prepared to meet the duties of the position.
- Diversity statement that demonstrates a commitment to pluralism and the ability to support a diverse workplace and educational environment.
- Current resume.
- List of five recent professional references with contact information.
- Whatcom Community College
- 237 W Kellogg Rd.
Bellingham, Washington, 98226