Time Student Navigator/Instructional Support-Medical AssistantWhatcom Community College
Exempt, 50% Time Student Navigator/Instructional Support-Medical Assistant
Whatcom Community College invites applications for a Student Navigator/Instructional Support Specialist. The Student Navigator/Instructional Support Specialist for Medical Assistant will assist WCC students enrolled in the Medical Assistant (MA) program in successful enrollment, navigation and completion of their program pathway. Navigational support will include a full range of career assessment, academic coaching, college transition services, instructor contact and referral services to students, in support of their academic attainment. This position will assist in recruitment and monitoring of student progress.Instructional support will be provided through leading student learning groups and quiz sections, supporting instruction activities, assisting in learning labs, and tutoring. This position will report to the Associate Dean for Health Professions and work with them to develop effective strategies in support of students, plan and implement program student success initiatives, prepare reports, and collect data.
The Navigator will be responsible for helping prospective and current students:
- Understand WCC health-related certificate and degree options.
- Provide individualized coaching and referral to services and resources to assist with academic and personal success.
- Promote student professionalism, effective work habits and communication skills.
- Support study skills, open lab practice, and simulations.
- Prepare students for practicums.
- Review interviewing and resume writing skills.
- Serve as a liaison and coach in the employment process.
- Job Responsibilities
May include, but are not limited to:
- Maintain on-campus and off-campus office hours for individual student check-ins and regular meetings with groups or cohorts of students;
- Assess students' academic and personal needs and barriers to determine appropriate wrap-around support services; refer students to on- and off- campus services and resources as appropriate;
- Assist in the recruitment of program students and in the employment of program graduates;
- In collaboration with the project team define and execute navigational services, plan milestones and outcomes, and work to ensure successful program completion;
- Develop resources for students, including tutoring and other services, that increase their success in education and training; conduct open labs for online learning support;
- Work with faculty in supporting targeted learning needs; assist students in navigating the Canvas online learning environment; provide support to instructors in face-to-face and online learning environments;
- Assist in the development of career plans for those students who complete or are near completion; assist in identifying performance gaps and developing plans for the learning solutions;
- Provide accurate monitoring and tracking of all students; maintain student files to document contact, attendance, grades; maintain complete records and submit reporting on time;
- Implement short and long-range plans to meet program needs; prepare for and participate in labor/ management/education meetings and virtual community;
- Build and maintain internal and external customer satisfaction with products and services provided by the College; maintain effective working relationships with diverse students, faculty and staff.
- Qualifications, Salary and Appointment
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited institution.
- Instructional support experience in a community college or similar setting.
- Experience in higher education or job placement environment.
- Experience working with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Familiarity with healthcare and behavioral health sectors.
- Familiarity with community resources.
- Ability to apply hands on academic student support as a supplement to classroom teaching.
- Willingness to work some early mornings and evenings.
The successful candidate will exhibit the following characteristics:
- Proficiency with web communication tools and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills with faculty, staff and students.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Knowledge of methods and techniques of student instruction.
- Ability to respond to a variety of requests from students and instructors.
- This is a 50% of full-time Administrative/Exempt position through June 30th, 2020, with potential for continuation based on grant funding and satisfactory performance. Exempt from Washington State civil service law with an annual salary of $21,500-$22,500 based upon 50% of a full-time annual salary of $43,000 - $45,000.
- The position comes with a full benefit package, including health, dental, life, long-term disability insurance and a retirement plan.
- Whatcom Community College is a qualified employer for the PSLF program. If you work for the College full time, have had Direct Loans and are on an eligible repayment plan, you are eligible to apply.
- Full-time employees are eligible to apply and participate in the Whatcom Community College Employee Tuition Program, which provides a tuition waiver for available and eligible WCC courses.
- As soon as can be arranged with successful candidate.
- For guaranteed consideration, application packets should be received by Wednesday August 14th, 2019 at 4:59 pm. Position open until filled.
- Special Instructions to Applicant
A completed application consists of an online application and:
- Letter of application detailing relevant experience and how the applicant is prepared to meet the duties of the position.
- Diversity statement that addresses how you have committed to equity and inclusion in the past and how you might support a diverse workplace and educational environment through this position.
- Current resume.
- Unofficial Transcripts for all earned degrees; official transcripts required prior to official start date.
- List of five recent professional references with contact information.
- Whatcom Community College
- 237 W Kellogg Rd.
Bellingham, Washington, 98226